Apples with red pulp conquer the markets of Europe and the CIS
Apples with red pulp conquer the markets of Europe and the CIS
The company Red Moon presented a new red-sweet variety of apples Red Moon. Company representatives are confident that such an innovation in the food industry will soon conquer the European market.
The first apples with sweet red pulp and the taste of grapefruit with raspberries were brought by the American breeder Albert Etter back in 1940 from the famous apple tree of Nedzvetsky. The variety was called Pink Pearl, and it is common in the United States.
In the 90s of the last century, European breeders became interested in apples with red pulp. Swiss grower Markus Kobert has been breeding a new variety for twenty years and named it RedLove. He conducted cross-pollination experiments among several varieties of apples, including pink pulp. Trees were grown in special galleries to prevent bees from pollinating. Thus, a new variety was obtained by natural selection without interfering with plant genetics. The author of the variety notes a delicate taste with a slight hint of a berry aftertaste, ease of cultivation and care, high resistance to diseases and the fact that cut fruits do not turn brown in the air. In addition, these apples are well stored.
Suttons bought the rights to manufacture RedLove and in 2010 the first seedlings of “red love” were already planted throughout Europe.
Today there are new varieties of red meat apples and these fruits are becoming popular.
The red pulp and the dense structure of the fetus are perfectly absorbed in the body due to the high percentage of vitamin C and anthocyanin. This is important for consumers who suffer from allergies or digestive upsets.
Apples of the new variety are useful not only for direct consumption, but also in the form of juice, cider, cocktails and other apple-based products. These fruits especially appreciated by people on a diet. The fruits of the apple tree are few in calories, many vitamins, iron and fiber. Due to the original taste and the preservation of useful properties after heat treatment, apples are used in cooking in combination with many products, including meat and fish.
In Italy, 35 hectares of red-fleshed apple orchards have already been laid. In France, 23 hectares were allotted for a new variety and the horticultural community expressed hopes for expanding the area to 100 hectares. The main mission of Red Moon is to bring together manufacturers from Italy, France and the Netherlands. This allows them to exchange experiences, organize a complete vertical supply chain – from cultivation to marketing.
New varieties and their modifications have taken root well in Ukraine
Features of apple trees with red fruits
1. All apple trees with red flowers, leaves and fruits came from a wild-growing species – the Nedzvetsky apple tree. Modern varieties with red-fruited fruits retain many of the characteristics of the parent species, but also somewhat surpass it in early maturity, quality and quantity of the crop, as well as in taste.
2. It is recommended to plant such trees in well-moistened and nutritious soil. Apple trees with “colored” fruits prefer dark gray, gray forest soils and chernozems. The mechanical composition is suitable for light and medium loams. It is very important that the carbonate content in the soil in a plot up to 80 cm deep does not exceed 10-12%.
3. Planting apple trees with red apples, seedlings should be buried to the place of vaccination. On the edge of the hole, it is absolutely necessary to make bumpers 10-15 cm high, so that when watering, water flows directly to the roots. Watering such apple trees should be once every 2 weeks.
4. Compared with other apple trees, in trees of “red-fleshy” varieties, all phases of growth and development of seedlings proceed at a later date. Thus, the buds bloom with a delay, the shoots also begin to grow much later. The thing is that at first only the root system develops in trees, but then they begin to bear fruit actively (apples appear in the second year).
5. On the lower branches, flowering begins earlier than on the upper. Therefore, undersized trees bloom much longer than stumps.
6. The maximum yield of fruits with red pulp can be obtained from apple trees in the years when winters are not too frosty, and in spring there are no sharp temperature drops.
The best varieties of red apples
The main feature of the fruit is its color: they are red with white dots. Apples are juicy, sweet and sour, with dense red pulp. Harvest can be stored until January, almost without losing its commercial qualities. The main minus of apple trees Baya marisa – High probability of defeat by scab and powdery mildew. But the grade is quite frost-resistant.
A very unusual variety of apples: the fruits are light green with a reddish tint, inside are bright pink or even red. The flesh is fine-grained, juicy and dense. The apples are very aromatic, the taste is sweet with a spicy tartness (the best sweet red apples). Harvest without loss of quality can be stored for 4 months after harvest. Apple tree varieties Pink pearl poorly resist powdery mildew and scab.
The tree has pink flowers and red leaves on young shoots. The fruits are also red, large, juicy, sweet and sour. During processing, the pulp does not oxidize, retains a reddish tint. To keep the apples well stored, it is important to keep them at a moderately low temperature, because the fruits of this variety do not like strong cold. The culture is highly resistant to scab and medium – to powdery mildew.
Apple trees of this variety are distinguished by dark raspberry flowers and green leaves with a reddish tint. The fruits are round, dark red, sweet and sour. The best taste apples of a grade Redlove era acquire 3-4 weeks after harvesting. Trees are resistant to scab, but are susceptible to powdery mildew.
The fruits are medium sized, dark red, sometimes with purple stripes. The flesh is pink, very tender and juicy. Interestingly, in different fruits from one tree, it can be painted with different intensities. Another feature distinguishing apple varieties Vinerpo from other varieties with red flesh, is that the leaves of the trees are green, not reddish. The culture is resistant to scab and powdery mildew.
This is a new variety of apples. Ripening period – the end of summer – the beginning of autumn. Fruits weighing about 200 g, dark burgundy, red flesh. Taste quality of fruits is high. The trees are fruitful, early-growing. Declared high winter hardiness and resistance to diseases of apple trees. Shoots on the trees – a blue-violet hue.
Major news and analysis of fruit and vegetable market on Facebook and Telegram East-Fruit.com
The use of materials from this site is free if there is a direct, open to search engines, hyperlinks to specific publications East-fruit.com analytical platform.